If I were to put this in a mathematical equation, it would look like this:
Not pastoral = too academic.
But is this an accurate picture?
Now, that brings me to consider what is "academic".
How would one rate an institution that is considered "academic"? My criteria would include at least the following:
- active academic publication of international repute and recognition
- cutting-edge and groundbreaking research in one's field of expertise
- staying updated on the current scholarship in one's field of expertise
- presenting papers of one's current rersearch in international conferences
- well-equipped library including access to online database
So, let's be honest - are we anywhere near being "academic"? Is it right to say that just because some feel that we are not "pastoral" enough, therefore, we should be labeled as "too academic"? Or is there a deeper issue?
Just thinking aloud....