Thursday 19 July 2007

How Does A Biblical Scholar...? The Struggle to Write Devotionally

I must confess I am struggling - struggling to write the devotional readings for Asian Reflections for 2008, a 4-year bible reading project initiated by Scripture Union Malaysia. The deadline is way behind me now, and I am still struggling to put my thoughts in writing for a few more readings. I must be the only writer that has yet to submit the readings. My sincere apologies to Scripture Union, who has been very kind and patient with me, for all the inconveniences caused.

I am tasked with writing devotional commentaries for John 17-21. After spending a few years writing academically, I must say it is a bit of a struggle to write devotionally. It's not that I do not believe in writing devotionally (else, I would not have agreed to write for Scripture Union). I think my greatest struggle is to write in such a way as to connect with the hearts of the potential readers (not just the head), to cause them to ponder on the truth of the gospel, to challenge them to think through issues confronting them, and to convince them that God still speaks through the scriptures. This is one of my greatest challenges as a budding NT scholar!

I hope to complete writing the readings soon...yes...soon...very soon...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The struggle will cease for...

"Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world." John17:24.

"When we are with Jesus 'devotionally', known by him even his Father..struggles will subsequently cease..." Amen.

Denise

pearlie said...

I know I would sound corny but write from the heart? ;) haha, a big help I am.

Alex Tang said...

you know, this is one of my fears when I set out to do my dissertation- that when I begin to write academically, I will lose the ability to write 'popular' pieces.

Kar Yong said...

Dear Pearlie, Thanks for the reminder. :-) We should write with conviction as well, a conviction that comes from the heart too!

Dear Alex,
I guess it goes down to how we balance both academic and popular writing - a balance that I often find very difficult to achieve. In this respect, I have high regard for N. T. Wright - he is a respected (and, perhaps to a certain extent, controversial) scholar and yet able to write at "popular" level. As such, he is so influential in many ways. Other examples are scholars like J. I. Packer and Ben witherington.

I have much to learn from these scholars.

Lee Chee Keat said...

eh!! isn't it the same as preparing a sermon for the church audience. Need to adjust the lingo, add some interesting stories for illustrations and spicing some oral communication style to the audience style of communicating with discernment of the audience needs and perceptions. Ok....juz wonder....mayb it's different..hee hee...haven't taken homiletics yet:)

rccnlj said...

Hey... I totally agree with Pearlie.. write from your heart - I seriously believe that you have lots of good things to share devotionally. *honk honk* (from Ps Soon Hock's message last week)...

Kar Yong said...

Chee Keat,

Hahaha...the difference is that for a sermon, you can play around with 3,000 words for a 25 min sermon, but for SU devotions, you only have 300 words for a reading!!

Rccnlj,

Thanks for the "honk honk" - you are not selling ice cream when you honk honk?

rccnlj said...

LKY! You very terriblelaaa....