Wednesday 27 June 2007

Goodbye, SBL International Meeting in Vienna



Due to unforeseen circumstances, I have to cancel my participation in the upcoming Society of Biblical Literature International Meeting in Vienna, scheduled from July 22-26, 2007. I am going to miss meeting up with friends this year in beautiful Vienna. In addition, I am going to miss the two special sessions on the Theology of 2 Corinthians (an area of my interest) presented by members of the European Association of Biblical Studies.

I have always enjoyed SBL meetings in the past, having participated in the Singapore (click here for the abstract of my paper) and Edinburgh Meetings (click here for the abstract of the paper) where I presented aspects of my thesis and received constructive criticism and encouraging feedback.

This year, I am scheduled to read my paper on July 24 in the Paul and Pauline Literature session. The title of my paper is “I Will Boast of the Things That Show My Weakness:" The Function of Paul’s citation of Jeremiah 9:22-23 in 2 Corinthians 10:17 in light of his apostolic sufferings in 2 Corinthians 10-13. If I were to make it, it would have been a real privilege to have my doktorvater presiding over the session.

Perhaps next year I might be able to make it to the Annual Meeting 2008 in Boston (would be nice to visit my alma mater as well, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, and to taste once more the delicious and creamy New England clam chowder). Perhaps the International Meeting 2008 as well...

We'll see...keeping my fingers crossed...


2 comments:

Tony Siew said...

Dear Kar Yong,

Congratulations on your PhD in NT. I got to know about your blog through Pearlie's blog and I really like what I see. Thanks so much too for putting my book up in your post. BTW, my blog is more pastoral stuff rather than NT scholarship, but I think yours is great, a kind of Malaysian version to Michael Bird's Evangelion.

I sympathized with you about your non-appearance in the forthcoming SBL in Vienna. I also planned to attend the IOSOT (OT Congress) in Slovenia but most likely I would have to give that a miss as well. Hopefully, next SBL International Congress, I will go to Auckland, the Lord willing. Keep up the good work. I am sure Ezra Kok will be thrilled that there is another NT scholar on board at STM.

Kar Yong said...

Dear Tony,

It's nice to hear from you!

Yes, hopefully we could both make it to SBL International in Auckland next year!