Tuesday 12 June 2007

I Called Him "Daddy": A Tribute to My Uncle

I called him "Daddy", just like all his children would call him. All my other siblings also called him "Daddy." This goes to demonstrate how close my uncle (my father's younger brother) was to me. As far as memory could recall, I always remembered that he had always been there for me during my childhood days until the day I left for university. We lived only two doors apart in our hometown, Kota Bharu.

In many respects, he was like a Daddy to me. From Standard 1 right up to Form 5, he was the one who fetched me to school without fail everyday. He would be our "captain" during the Mooncake Festival (Mid-Autumn festival), being there with all his children, nephews and nieces, in celebrating the festival with brightly lighted and beautifully decorated lanterns.

As an educator, Daddy made a very significant contribution to the field of education, particularly in the development of the national-type Chinese primary school in the state of Kelantan. He was a teacher, friend, and mentor to many.

In the church, Daddy also served the Lord with wholehearted devotion both in Kota Bahru Chinese Presbyterian Church and Kuantan Presbyterian Church. Those in the church could readily testify of his faithfulness and commitment in the ministry of the gospel of Christ.

On June 10, 2007, at 3.55am, I lost my Daddy. He departed from this world and went home to be his Maker. As Kar Tiat, his youngest son (my cousin) reminded us in his tribute to his father last night during the momorial service, life has no full stop...it continues on. Although Daddy finished his journey on earth, his life in the bosoms of the Heavenly Father has just begun. Although a chapter of his life on earth had ended, a new one has just begun for him in the Lord's presence. Although we dearly miss his presence on earth, there will always be a very special place in our hearts for him - our fond memory of him would always live on, be cherished and will be passed on to our future generations.

Daddy, as we bid you goodbye, we long to see you again, and we have this confidence that we will we see you again in glory.

Daddy, we miss you, but we know this is temporary. We will see you face to face again in glory...And it's just a matter of time.

"I have fought the good fight,
I have finished the race,
I have kept the faith.
Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness,
which the Lord, the righteous Judge,
will award to me on that day--and not only to me,
but also to all who have longed for his appearing."
- 2 Timothy 4:7-8

No comments: