Saturday 4 August 2007

The Danger of Reading The Bible From A Mobile Phone

I am not a very tekkie person. So when it comes to technology and gadgets, I am years behind time. My students in the seminary have been reading the bible from their mobile phones....and I am still reading from my good old NA 27 and, sometimes, I would read it from Bibleworks installed in my notebook.

During one of the lectures in my Exegesis of 1 Corinthians class, I asked one of the students, let's call him S, to read a passage from 1 Corinthians. So S took out his mobile phone and read from it. But I noticed that the reading was not that particularly smooth. There were pauses and interruptions in his reading. And I also noticed that there were few students giggling away in the class. Hmmm...I wondered what was going on in the class.

Only later on did I find out that another student in the class was calling S on his mobile phone while he was reading the passage. And he kept on calling S several times. So, this explained the interruptions of the reading of the passage....and the giggles in the class.

So much for modern technology. The moral of the story is that there is still nothing like the good old NA 27 where you can be guaranteed there will not be any unnecessary interruptions such as the one described earlier. Well, reading from NA 27 might also save you from some embarrassment and, not to mention, from incurring the "wrath" of some of the lecturers as well....Think about it!! Bring your Bibles or NA 27 to class next time, lah!!!

10 comments:

rccnlj said...

Lol... Good one..

EJ said...

cheh...this is using technology without knowing all everything about it. turn it to flight mode or set the phone to auto-reject calls mar. no skill. *pfft*

*smirk*

Kar Yong said...

Ionstorm,

Hahaha...is it something like reading someone's blog that is active and asking,"Why do you keep on changing the front page?"

Kar Yong said...

Ionstorm,

Like I say, I am not a tekkie mah...!! Same goes for the students, I guess...!

EJ said...

hehe...i just took the opportunity to be pompous for a moment. :P

Alex Tang said...

ah eh...what a NA 27? Do you need to plug it in?

Kar Yong said...

Alex,
Yes, I still think you need to plug it in... :-)

pearlie said...

lol ... funny ...
no lah ... reading the bible from the mobile should be a last resort or when you really really need to travel light. I have the Java bible reader in my phone, newly released by OliveTree which they need more work on it - because by the time I get to the verses, the Scripture Reading already over!!

Hmm... plugging in the NA27? Can I plug that into my brain complete with a translater? LOL

Kar Yong said...

Pearlie,

I am still waiting for that gadget to be invented where you can plug NA27 straight into your brain, and it only only comes with a complete translator, but also contains the full versions of BDAG, TDNT, NIDNTT, and EDNT; and includes other search features as well, including syntax, grammar, and morphorlogy. That will make learning Greek much easier!

pearlie said...

Aiyo like that no need to learn already lah!!!