Friday 16 January 2009

Romans Class Begins


Classes officially begins this week, and I had my first lecture on Exegesis of Romans to a group of 26 students yesterday. I tried to do things a little bit different this semester, and this is reflected in the course requirement for the course on Romans. In addition to the usual exegesis paper, I gave the class an option of taking the final exam or coming out with a creative project capturing the theme/themes of Romans.

In the course outline, I state the following:

Devise a creative project based on your understanding of the major theme/themes found in Romans. It could take the form of a teaching lesson, drama, Sunday school material, bible study, movie clip, music, sculpture, painting, or any other creative form which demonstrates a clear indication of your understanding of the major theme/themes of Romans and how this particular theme/themes can be demonstrated in a relevant manner to your current audience. You will be evaluated on your creativity, clarity, and the effectiveness of conveying the message of Romans to your contemporary audience.

I wonder how successful this creative project will be - only time will tell, and I do hope some of the students will take up this option. It would be interesting to see how one interprets the theme/themes of Romans in a contemporary fashion.

13 comments:

Lee Chee Keat said...

Don't be surprise ...I may opt for this depending whether there's any inspirations from the Romans lecturer and above until April 2..haha:)

Alex Tang said...

This is great. A different pedagogy- creative exegetes. I look forward to some of the inspired products

pearlie said...

I am to do exactly the same for my exile paper. Chee Keat, you too! And I have yet to crack my brain for something creative.

But creativity is really in the eye of the beholder, isn't it? How would you gauge the creativity of something? What I think was creative may not be to you?

Creativity + clarity -> would it be anymore creative? I may paint a modern art piece for that matter that will only engage your emotional senses -- but where is clarity?

Alex Tang said...

Clarity is seeing with your heart via your mind through God's eyes.

Creativity is bringing into being what your clarity reveals.

so chim-lah

逍遥子Odysseus said...

creative teaching,,, top!

chils said...

Some how, I couldn't help but think that us TEE were used as guinea pigs.

Anyway, belated thanks - it was a great experience and enjoyed it very much. Fun but still a lot of background reading required!

Creativity is the way to go!

Kar Yong said...

Hi Chee Keat,
It would be great if you could do the creative project!

Kar Yong said...

Hi Pearlie,
I require those who opt for the creative project to do a class presentation - hence the "clarity" part comes in. Even in creative project, one should be able to explain the concept, the idea, and the rationale as well.

I really like what Alex says...he so chim...

Kar Yong said...

Hi Alex,
Wah - you so chim ah.....

Like you, I look forward to the products as well.

Kar Yong said...

Hi Sceptics,

Hope this would inspire you to come and study at STM...haha

Kar Yong said...

Chils,
This has been brewing in me for sometime, and I only had the chance to do it in STM this semester. So rest assured that TEE students are not my guinea pigs... :-)

Glad that you enjoyed the Parables course.

逍遥子Odysseus said...

Tks sir, I always longing to come to STM, but I would join chinese dept, because my english command, cant touch so many english elites there in STM..haha..

Kar Yong said...

Not true lar - all of us also struggle with English.

But if you join the Chinese department, you can still take some of the classes in the English department, and vice versa.